Problem with new wifi adapter / General Questions / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-27 15:06

anth13

Problem with new wifi adapter

Hi,
I have a new wifi usb adapter. I can connect to phone hotspots with it, but cannot connect to my router. With NSM, if both old and new adapters are enabled, I can see the router SSID with the same MAC address available to both adapters, but I can only connect successfully with my old card, as when trying with my new adapter I get 'error 87 - parameter incorrect' (the password is correct). If I disable the old network card via services, when I check the new adapter with NSM, the router is not in the list so is not available to connect to.
Any ideas as to why this may be?
Thanks,

#2 2021-04-27 15:22

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: Problem with new wifi adapter

Are you able to connect to your router with the USB WiFi adapter directly through Windows (without NetSetMan)?

How far is your router away from your laptop? During your tests, please make sure you are close to it. USB WiFi adapters do not have an antena like built-in adapters have, so their range is limited. Of course, this would not explain why you see it with the second adapter when the first adapter is enabled (might be a coincidence or some caching optimizations of Windows or your WiFi drivers).

#3 2021-04-27 15:55

anth13

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions.
No, I can't connect to my router via windows with my new adapter (though I can connect to phone hotspots). I have tried many times while next to the router (so I could connect an ethernet cable if required).
I did have a VPN installed, which I uninstalled to see if that helped, but it didn't.

#4 2021-04-27 16:05

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

anth13 wrote:

No, I can't connect to my router via windows with my new adapter (though I can connect to phone hotspots).

Well, in this case your problem is not with NetSetMan...

Your new WiFi network adapter or its driver seems to be incompatible with some WiFi parameter. You could try modifying the configuration of your WiFi network on your router (security, channel, 2.4/5 GHz, other parameters) and see if it makes any difference.