Tray Info more compact or selected info / Feature Requests / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-20 21:25

Mariano

Tray Info more compact or selected info

Hi, I wish to make the tray windows more compact because I have a lot of adapters and they don't stay in my desktop all at the same time.

Now I see the name of the adapter
the hardware name
the SSID
DHCP
IP
Gateway
DNS

Is possible to show only the fields that I care?
In my case I just need Name of the adapter, SSID and IP

#2 2021-04-21 00:37

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: Tray Info more compact or selected info

There is a configuration option in the Preferences for the Tray Info. However, the details you have listed are considered the very basic details to be shown. Note, that SSID is only shown for connected WiFi adapters and DHCP info is only shown if the IP has been assigned dynamically.

It is the first time, that someone wishes to reduce this information even further, as it actually doesn't really take much space so shrienking it further down doesn't seem necessary.

However, I we understood the background of your request correctly, the actual problem is that you get this information for many different network adapters that might not even be connected. In that case simply choose in the mentioned configuration dialog which NICs you want to be shown. You can uncheck "Disconnected adapters", "Disabled adapters" and "Virtual adapters" and you should end up with a smaller Tray Info.

#3 2021-04-21 00:51

Mariano

I use 8 usb ether net adapter and 1 internal adapter. 9 connections always on. I need to check always if they are connected or not and so I use Netsetman and the tray window always on top. But with the minimun of the informations and the window is too big, don't stay in the vertical 1080p screen of my laptop. So I have asked for an option to show what an user wants.

Another way to solve my problem should be the option of a 75% smaller dimension. I have already setup the smallest possible but is not small enough.

However I prefer the solution to choose if show or not some informations that of course can be very important for most of the users  but not for everyone.

#4 2021-04-21 09:10

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

We understand your request, but we have to balance a lot of requests, new features and improvements. Even if we agreed and added it to our todo list, it wouldn't be done immediately but together with other improvements of the Tray Info or other additional preferences. Even small changes require a lot of general and overhead work (e.g. designing, implementing, testing, QA, documentation), so for uncritical changes, we collect them and implement them bundled, which saves a lot of time. But there are also features that might help one single user, but make it worse or more complicated to use for all other users, so we have to carefully evaluate every single request in detail.

Our intention was to provide a suitable workaround for your constellation. Even after reading your second description, it sounds like unchecking the option Preferences > Tray Info > "Disconnected adapters" could solve the problem as in this case all disconnected adapter will be hidden. So if a network adapter is not there, you know that it is disconnected. If that does not help, please describe why not.

Would you mind describing your constellation and use case even further? We really would like to understand the use case with 9 network adapters, so we can consider adding it to our internal use cases list, that is relevant for further development.

#5 2021-04-22 21:14

Mariano

desktop.png

This is how my desktop looks with 9 connections at the same time. I understand that this is a very rare case of user that needs to have 9 differents Ip at the same time. I have already disabled the disconnected adatpers but the problem remain, the ninth adapters is not showed at all sad

I have also to check with my eyes if the connection active or not all the time so I love NetSetMan tray windows because it stay always on top and this is a big help for me. Of course a kind of notification when the adapter lost the connection would be fantastic for me. Maybe already exist a way to do this?

Last edited by Mariano (2021-04-22 21:15)

#6 2021-04-26 16:31

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Thank you for the screenshot. But could you please describe your use case in detail? Why and how are you using 9 WiFi connections at the same time?