Activate A Profile Not Working / Bug Reports / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-22 17:00

fkamhi

Activate A Profile Not Working

Hi Support,

This is my first post / question.  I made sure that the WMI service is running on my laptop and made sure the Use WMI IP option was unchecked on the General tab.  No matter what I do, when I select a different profile and then click activate, the settings do no change.

I am running a Win 7 Pro, 64 bit.  NSM version = 4.7.1.  NSM Service IS activated.

As for a step by step description, not much to it.  I click on a profile, click activate, the Confirmation dialog box pops up (I have it activated in Preferences), I click OK.  The main dialog box comes up and everything looks good and it shows the log. But when I check the adapter settings, they are not updated!  This is true for my 2 wireless profiles and my 3 wired profiles.

I did notice one thing.  The Log always shows  Adapter - Refresh: Skip   This setting is already set on this system.

[0:00] NetSetMan Pro 4.7.1
[0:00] Start: noitu.lan (Wired) (11:54:38)

[0:00] Start: Local Area Connection
[0:00] Adapter found
[0:00] Adapter - Refresh: Skip
           This setting is already set on this system.
[0:00] Adapter Status: Start
           Activate
[0:00] Adapter Status: OK

[0:00] Finish (11:54:38)

[0:00] NetSetMan Pro 4.7.1
[0:00] Start: GTT/Transbeam - External (11:58:49)

[0:00] Start: Local Area Connection
[0:00] Adapter found
[0:00] Adapter - Refresh: Skip
           This setting is already set on this system.

[0:00] Finish (11:58:49)

Maybe this is normal, I don't know.  Any suggestions?? 

Thank you,

FK

#2 2018-08-23 20:18

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: Activate A Profile Not Working

According to the activation log, you haven't set any settings to be activated. Could you please post a screenshot of your profile?

#3 2018-08-23 21:27

fkamhi

Hi,

Sorry, this was clearly a case of user error or what I sometimes refer to as PEBCAK (IT Helpdesk acronym for Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard).  Unfortunately, I was the user in this case!

I knew enough to check the boxes - IP & Gateway and DNS Server to allow me to then either check the Obtain automatically option or the Use the following... option and then enter the necessary information.  What I failed to realize was I had to leave the IP & Gateway and DNS Server boxes checked or no actions would be taken on these items.  And this is true for all of the checkboxes, like WiFi in the Additional section! 

I thought once I entered the information I should uncheck the box to prevent the information from being changed by accident.  Rereading the online Help and looking at the screenshots I figured let me try leaving those boxes checked and then try the Activate button.  And yes, then it worked as expected.

So now a quick question or more likely observation.  Once I have the correct settings, I gather the best way to make sure not to change the settings by accident would be to as a regular habit use the Compact mode or the Tray to select a different profile.  Also, I assume should Export the settings too as a pre-caution, in case the settings were to accidently get changed, I could recover them easily.

Thank you and sorry for wasting your time!

- Farley

#4 2018-08-23 21:50

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Your observation is correct!