Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-08 07:20

asier

AutoSwitch on user logon hangs

• Windows 7 x64

• NetSetMan 4.6.1

• Yes

I have set up AutoSwitch to switch to a certain configuration when a local user logs onto the computer. The user in question has no administrator privileges. No matter how I set it up, when the conditions are met, AutoSwitch seems to start the switching process but it does not seem to do anything in a while. Clicking on the NetSetMan screen makes it hang, and clicking on the tray icon opens the NetSetMan options menu on first click but it is unresponsive afterwards.

I have tried changing multiple things to no avail:

• Giving the user in question Administrator rights

• Setting it up for the local Administrator account instead

• Changing the delay for AutoSwitch to activate

• Turning the NSM Service off

• Making NetSetMan not start on Windows logon (it would hang on logon, but when disabled it would still hang if you opened it manually)

• Reinstalling the program, wiping out the settings

• Setting it up on a completely different machine (still on Windows 7 x64)

I am out of ideas as to what I could try, and despite searching around for AutoSwitch issues, none of them is similar to what is happening here.

#2 2018-06-11 12:52

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: AutoSwitch on user logon hangs

Does the profile work if you disable AutoSwitch and activate that profile manually?

asier wrote:

AutoSwitch seems to start the switching process but it does not seem to do anything in a while

What makes you think the switching process started? Are you using the default notification with the countdown? If not, then select that with a countdown of 10s. Then observe if the countdown message appears, if it counts down to zero and if the activation dialog opens up.

asier wrote:

Making NetSetMan not start on Windows logon (it would hang on logon, but when disabled it would still hang if you opened it manually)

We're not sure if we understood the problem correctly. If it doesn't start at all, how did you configure the AutoSwitch?

#3 2018-06-11 16:06

asier

Re: AutoSwitch on user logon hangs

NetSetMan Support wrote:

Does the profile work if you disable AutoSwitch and activate that profile manually?

Manual profile switching works as intended while on the Administrator profile. On the non-administrator one, it for some reason changes the IP and Netmask but not anything else. I have that secondary account set up in the "Network Settings" group, so it can supposedly change everything.

NetSetMan Support wrote:

What makes you think the switching process started? Are you using the default notification with the countdown? If not, then select that with a countdown of 10s. Then observe if the countdown message appears, if it counts down to zero and if the activation dialog opens up.

I just tried with the default notification/countdown settings and it works as intended. It seems the problem stems from wanting it to be a silent process. What made me think the process started was the little cog on the NetSetMan taskbar icon when I had it set to switch silently. Also, I have noticed that I can only edit the notification settings from the local Administrator account.

NetSetMan Support wrote:

We're not sure if we understood the problem correctly. If it doesn't start at all, how did you configure the AutoSwitch?

It does not start at all when AutoSwitch is set up, so I just set up AutoSwitch from a clean install of the program. I have reinstalled the program multiple times to try out different settings in order to be able to set up AutoSwitch again. Sorry if I did not make that clear.