Connect to specific MAC address SSID / General Questions / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-27 15:59

mands

Connect to specific MAC address SSID

Hi,
I'm failing to understand how exactly can I specify in NetSetMan to specifically connect to an AP from several with the same SSID, based on the MAC address, automatically. I'm able to set the SSID profile in the network profile but the MAC address I select in the WiFi setting doesn't seem to be saved.
Thanks.

#2 2016-01-27 19:59

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: Connect to specific MAC address SSID

That's basically the same question as here:
https://www.netsetman.com/support/viewtopic.php?id=922

By using the built-in NSM WiFi Management you can select an AP to connect to as all APs are listed separately regardless of their SSID. You can see the MAC address in the tooltip of each line.

In contrast, by using the NetSetMan profiles in the WiFi dropdown box you're selecting a stored Windows WiFi profile to be used for the connection. Windows then automatically chooses a suitable WiFi network. So in your case you can only use the NSM WiFi Management but not the profile functionality.

In the meantime we've created a new "Connect by MAC" feature that will allow you to manually specify a MAC address in the profile instead of a WiFi profile. This will allow connecting to a specific MAC address when activating a NetSetMan profile. This new feature will be available in the next release in a couple of weeks.

#3 2016-01-27 22:22

mands

Hi and thanks for your reply.
This approach, however, will make me have to go to the NSM WiFi Management dialog and connect to the correct AP every time I start my PC, am I correct?

#4 2016-01-27 22:42

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Yes, currently only the manual possibility is available.
From the next release on this can also be automated in profiles.

#5 2016-04-19 01:49

ifi

im trying to make a new profile using mac address selection.

question:
where can I put the password for that wifi connection so it can connect completely after pressing activate?

Last edited by ifi (2016-04-19 01:52)

#6 2016-04-19 01:58

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

To connect to a wireless network (either by SSID or by MAC) you first have to create a profile for that network. You can do this through Windows or the integrated NSM WiFi Management. The profile is created the first time you're connecting to a new network using one of those possibilities.

As soon as you've created that profile it'll already contain your password. So by using the Connect-by-MAC feature NetSetMan will use the stored password from the existing suitable profile.

General information about this feature is available here:
www.netsetman.com/wifi

#7 2016-04-19 02:07

ifi

windows wont let me select a connection using mac address.
ie: there are 4 APs with same SSID, I only want to connect to a specific mac address.
so I plan to make a wifi connection manually even when that AP is not appearing yet under windows 7 wireless network connection

#8 2016-04-19 03:01

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

So why not create that profile using NSM WiFi Management?

#9 2016-04-19 03:19

ifi

i already did..
by doing:
set1 > additional > connect by mac > type mac > ok
because on NSM wifi management doesnt allow me to choose the specific mac address
edit:
by doing mouse overs i can see the desired mac,but after pressing connect.there is no indication that it was successful nor it doesnt ask for a password

ie:
to point out the difference between win7 & NSM:
on windows 7:
when connecting to a new AP using SSID.(using BSSID or mac address is not possible)
a pop up appears asking for the password to complete the connection.

on NSM wifi management:
making new connection using mac address has been completed using tabs on main screen .
but not the password part. --> the only part i cant figure with NSM.

Last edited by ifi (2016-04-19 03:37)

#10 2016-04-19 03:49

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Please re-read our previous postings.

1. Create a WiFi profile with a password, using either Windows or NSM WiFi Management. If that wireless network isn't available when creating the profile, then this step is only possible with NSM WiFi Management which looks like this:
wifi.png

2. Now you can use the Connect-by-MAC option.
wifi2.png

Now, when you activate a NetSetMan profile with the WiFi feature set to a MAC address NetSetMan will first search for a wireless network with that MAC address. If it finds one then it'll try to connect to it using a stored WiFi profile with the same SSID. This will be the profile you've created in step 1.

As a result you'll be connected to exactly the WiFi network you want to be connected to (based on its MAC address), even if there are other WiFi networks with the same SSID.