Question about multiples static IP / General Questions / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-09 09:15

Nate

Question about multiples static IP

Hello,

I'm working as an IT support and i need to test netsetman for a specific purpose.

We have several work places with a range of static IPs assigned to each.

Right now, each user has a desktop with a static IP and when they need to go to another work place, they take a laptop with a mobile data connexion and a VPN.

Now the project is to give some users who often need to move on each site a laptop with netsetman on it

The problem is : we don't have many IPs for each site and not all the "special" users will be present at the same time. So we have like 2 or 3 "free" static IPs adress on each site.

my question : is it possible to setup several static IPs for one site for one profile, and when the user choose this profile, it assign ONE of the static IP and when the user2 choose the same profile, it assign an other static IP (not the same as user1)

When i click on IP+ and assign several static IPs, the network card is configured with all the IPs but i want it to take just only one !

I'm sorry if it's hard to understand but english is not my native language =/

If you want me to specify some points, I'm available.

Thanks

Nate

#2 2015-12-09 10:47

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: Question about multiples static IP

Nate wrote:

my question : is it possible to setup several static IPs for one site for one profile, and when the user choose this profile, it assign ONE of the static IP and when the user2 choose the same profile, it assign an other static IP (not the same as user1)

How would the system of user2 know which IP user1 has already picked?
To perform a network scan user2 would first have to get into the network. To do so he already needs an IP...

Probably the easiest way to deal with this would be to create several profiles with the different IPs and let the users talk to each other which profile/IP is already in use so the new user activates a profile that's currently not in use by any other user.

#3 2015-12-09 11:43

Nate

Thanks for your reply,

yes that's the way we gonna do.

I was wondering if netsetman face an error during the application of the profile (IP not available...), if he could just choose an available IP in his profile's pool...

We gonna create differents profiles for each IP and the users will arrange each others.

Last edited by Nate (2015-12-09 11:45)

#4 2015-12-09 11:58

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

When a static IP is applied to Windows there's no error if the same IP is already used in the network. That's because the local system doesn't know yet whether somebody else uses that IP already. Just after a moment there might be an IP collision resulting in a message from Windows. But since this happens independantly from the actual IP activation the only way to catch this error would be to pause the activation process after setting the IP waiting if after a while an IP collision occurs. This doesn't seem very user friendly. Also it fails if the other system is currently turned off or not attached to the network, so the collision only occurs when the other system is connected to the network the next time.

#5 2015-12-09 13:46

Nate

Ok, thanks for your answers and reactivity smile