Switch to access point with the strongest signal / General Questions / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-06 02:54

jhrowehl

Switch to access point with the strongest signal

Setting the IP configuration to DHCP is the same process as assigning an IP address manually. So in your case the NIC is briefly disconnected after the IP settings have been applied.

OK, I just learned something. :-)  That tells me that what I'm seeing is normal, and not a bug of any type.

As for Proset, that's the driver for the NIC. I don't see that I have any choice... it was pre-installed when I bought the laptop, and as far as I can see, I can't use the NIC without it.

I'd be interested in helping with Beta testing, but you must be made aware that I am an electronic service tech for a company that makes custom machine tools. There is always a possibility that I may be sent on a service call with little or no notice. If that happens, I can't make any assurances of the WiFi environment that I'd be in, and depending on the environment, I may not be able to beta test effectively.

If I'm not sent on a call, I have a good environment at home for testing... 2 AP's, dual band, with a main account (for the adults) and a guest account (for the grandkids) on each band.

#2 2017-06-07 15:50

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: Switch to access point with the strongest signal

We've sent you an email with an instruction how to test the new feature.
Please send us your results as soon as possible, because we'd like to release version 4.4.1 soon. Thank you!

jhrowehl wrote:

As for Proset, that's the driver for the NIC. I don't see that I have any choice... it was pre-installed when I bought the laptop, and as far as I can see, I can't use the NIC without it.

It's an additional software that works on top of the drivers. So you should be able to uninstall it without any problems. Just in case we'd recommend to prepare the latest drivers before uninstalling it, so that in case the uninstallation removes the drivers as well, you can quickly install them again. At least during the installation you should be able to choose whether to install the drivers only or the Proset software as well.
Of course you can keep everything as it is for now, but please keep in mind that this conflicting software situation might be the reason for unexpected results.

#3 2017-06-08 02:05

jhrowehl

I got your Email, downloaded and ran the beta executable as per your instructions. So far, it appears to 'work as advertised'. :-)

Tomorrow at work won't be productive for testing... I'm dead center between 2 AP's with equal signal from each. However, I'll run it through it's paces again when I get home.

Oh, and I had noticed the speed isn't always reported correctly when hovering the mouse over the tray icon. I was going to ask if that belonged in a different thread but... On both the regular version (4.4.0) and the beta version. it appears that 3 digit connection speeds are shown as 0Gbit/s. As an example, I'm on my AP2 (Yay!!!) with Proset reporting the connect speed as 216Mbps. NSM is showing the speed as 0Gbit/s.

When I was moving around, NSM was reporting 2 digit speeds correctly (i.e., 72M, 35M, 17M, etc). After connecting to the stronger signal, the reported speed dropped to 0. I had noted that at work, where the speed is 54Mbps, NSM reports that correctly.

I just tested by switching to my 2.4Ghz network. When the connect speed was 90Mbps, NSM reported that correctly. With a 108Mbps connection, NSM reported 0.

When I shifted back to the 5Ghz network, I ended up on my AP1 at 17Mbps. I waited to see how NSM would handle it, and after about 20 seconds or so, it shifted to my AP2 at 216Mbps.

I'm a happy guy! I'll do some more testing tomorrow and let you know how things worked out.

Thanks!!!

#4 2017-06-08 10:37

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

We'll have a look at the "0" speed display issue.

Regarding the main topic: We're happy to hear that your quick test was successful. If possible please continue your test during the next week and tell us your results.
Please notice that the switch from one AP to another takes place based on the signal quality/strength (measured in percent) not on the connection speed. Although the connection speed is decreased with a bad signal, it is also possible that a very slow AP that is close to you has a very high signal strength and therefore is prefered compared to a fast AP that is more far away.

#5 2017-06-17 23:13

jhrowehl

Sorry it took me so long to gt back to you, been real busy here.

The beta version has been working quite well for me. I've tested on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, and it seems to handle both equally well. My particular issue was the NIC being reset during activation, and connecting to the AP with the lower signal. That still happens, but the beta version corrects this and connects to the stronger AP.

Good work!

If I can make a request for a future version, can the signal strength and time delays for switching be made user selectable? Something along the lines of the time delay for the profile auto-switch feature.

#6 2017-06-18 00:26

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

jhrowehl wrote:

If I can make a request for a future version, can the signal strength and time delays for switching be made user selectable?

The delay is purely based on the driver/Windows functionality. Whenever it's automatically updating the WiFi status, NetSetMan is evaluating that information immediately. In practice this delay shouldn't be too long to be a problem for this case. Regarding the signal strength, we've set the threshold to 10%, so in case you're right in the middle of two access points the connection isn't switched back and forth between them.