Rename network drive / Feature Requests / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-29 21:01

Peter_R

Rename network drive

When mapping a network drive, I have a suggestion to add a new function that will give me the option to rename the drive that just being mapped by NSM.

When the drive has been mapped by NSM, it could look like this in Windows Explorer:
Common (\\192.168.1.120\Common) (W:)
After it's renamed by NSM, it could look like this:
CommonDrive (W:)

As it is now, when a network drive has been mapped, I have to rename the drive manually, by right click on the drive in Windows Explorer and select rename.

#2 2017-01-31 13:01

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: Rename network drive

Windows remembers the custom names for mapped network folders as drives. So the next time you map a network drive for a known network path, it'll automatically show your previously assigned name for it.
Why do you want to manually rename it every time?

#3 2017-01-31 19:33

Peter_R

The reason is, that some times, the network drives that I have renamed in Windows Explorer, is not named as I renamed it. Sometimes the drive is displayed as "Network Drive" and not the name I gave it. Furthermore, it's not always the same drive letter that is affected, when this happens. I don't know if it has something to do with the way NSM is mapping the drive?

#4 2017-02-01 10:52

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Is it literally saying "Network Drive"? We've never seen something like this before. Do those folders contain a "desktop.ini" file that might override some settings like the name?

The manually assigned names are written to the registry here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

There you find sub-keys like "##pc#folder" which represents the network path "\\pc\folder".
Select a key with a network path that you've previously renamed. You'll find the value "_LabelFromReg" inside, that contains your custom name.

Next time you got a confusing name after mapping a network drive, please navigate to that registry key to see if there's something wrong with the value(s) inside.