v4.3.3 - Win10 Update 1607 - LAN settings cannot be applied / Bug Reports / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-25 15:41

markez

v4.3.3 - Win10 Update 1607 - LAN settings cannot be applied

I already use Netsetman for 6 months on HP ZBook 15 Laptop running Windows 10. System is attched to office LAN via Thunderbolt 3 Port extension. This is then shown as "Ethernet 3" connection. Now, to configure specific hardware, I disconnect from this thunderbolt adapter and plug in a regular network cable to directly connect to the other hardware. This all worked fine until I installed the latest windows 10 update 1607 this morning.   

WHat happens now - in NetSetMan, beside WLAN adapter, the adapter list displays the LAN adapter "Ethernet (Intel, Ethernet connection (2) I219-LM". When I set certain IP adress and press "Activate", system displays message "Adapter not found" after some seconds.

any help appreciated

Screenshots attached

#2 2017-01-25 16:28

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: v4.3.3 - Win10 Update 1607 - LAN settings cannot be applied

Could it be possible that the Windows Update re-installed your external network adapter, so now it's like a new network adapter? In that case it could help to re-assign it in the Network Adapter Management in NetSetMan.

Do the following steps:

1. Create a backup copy of your settings.ini file from the program installation folder.

2. Open up the Network Adapter Management in NetSetMan.

3. Verify if you have two similar entries related to your external NIC. If yes, then uncheck the current one and check the new one. If not, then uncheck it, confirm with OK, open the dialog again and check it again. That way it's stored with it's new values in the settings file.

4. Send us the backed up file and the new version of settings.ini so we can compare them and see the details of that network adapter.

#3 2017-01-25 16:37

markez

yes, this fixed the problem. I went to adapter management and manually added the adapter (onboard, not thunderbolt) that win10 was displaying in settings. Then settings could be applied and all worked again as usual. Always same story after such updates ...

thanks for quick help

#4 2017-01-25 16:59

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

We'd like to try to implement an automatic workaround for such problems, because we heard about similar problems a couple of times already.
But since it's difficult to reproduce such problems on our test systems without the exact same device/driver/Windows constellation, it would really help us to receive as many details as possible about this problem. So please allow us to ask a couple of additional questions:

Could you please describe what you saw when you opened up the NSM NIC Management? Was that adapter visible twice (one already selected and a new one)?
Could you please "break" the configuration again by importing the backup settings file (that you hopefully created as advised) and take a screenshot of the dialog? We'll see a lot of important details there.
After that you can perform your fix again.

Please also send us the two settings files (before and after the fix) as requested. We'd like to see what exactly changed for that adapter (Name, ID, MAC, ...).

Thank you!

#5 2017-01-25 17:47

markez

unfortunately I was running out of time, so did no backup, just quickly went to the adapterlist and used "Update (Replace existing) to update the listbox of available adapters. Now, displayed adapters are identical to what windows adapter setting screen is showing. I have two LAN adapters now, one is the laptops build-in adapter, the other is in the external Thunderbolt connected ZBook Dock adapter. See screenshot.

Maybe an option to let NetSetMan update the updater list on startup should be added.

#6 2017-01-25 18:56

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Could you please have a look at the "Backup" subfolder in the program folder? With every update a backup is created there. Please pick the newest file from there together with your current settings.ini file.

markez wrote:

Maybe an option to let NetSetMan update the updater list on startup should be added.

This would cause big problems for many users. Refreshing an adapters list causes all unavailable adapters to be removed and new ones to be added. Adapters that are removed from that list won't be available in the profiles as well, so the user would have to reselect them over and over again.

At the same time refreshing the list automatically won't solve your particular problem. If Windows decided to reinstall your network adapter as a new device, this means that its previous installation is probably still present in your system, just not visible. So you'd still get the same error message and would have to select the "new" adapter to solve it. That's what we'd like to automate. The logic to recognize that the new adapter is actually the same as an already existing adapter is something that we'd have to analyze and implement with care. Constellations like yours would help if we could get the settings file before and after such a change.

#7 2017-01-26 07:51

markez

how can I upload sent the INI files, uploads accepts pictures only ?

#8 2017-01-26 10:33

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Please send them to our email address that is shown at our contact page:
www.netsetman.com/contact

#9 2017-01-26 13:41

markez

files have been sent to shown adress

#10 2017-01-26 14:34

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

We've received the files. Thank you.
Unfortunately the adapters list is identical in both files, indicating that the backup file was created after refreshing the list. Our instruction to pick the newest file was probably not accurate. Could you please pick the latest backup file before the list was refreshed? The files have a timestamp in their names, so it should be easy to find it. Additionally, you could open the file in a text editor and scroll to the bottom to verify the devices.