Improved portable license functionality? / General Questions / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-04 20:57

peterbonge

Improved portable license functionality?

From the 4.0.0 changelog:

Improved portable license functionality

What has changed?

I've put the portable version into my Dropbox, so that I have the same settings/profiles on both computers. The problem: Ever time I change the computer I have to load the license file again.

Last edited by peterbonge (2015-03-04 20:57)

Regards,
Peter Bonge

#2 2015-03-04 22:10

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: Improved portable license functionality?

"Portable" means usage on a USB flash device. In that case the license file is set up for that portable device instead of the local machine, so the license doesn't have to be activated on every system again.

Putting the whole application into a folder shared across different systems isn't a use case that's covered. Actually I'd highly recommend against doing so, because if at some point you run the application on multiple devices at the same time and they all write to the same file (well not exactly the same file, but something near that, as it's constantly synced.) you'll end up with an inconsistent, probably broken settings file.
Instead I'd recommend some backup mechanism where you have the possibility to restore the file to some device when needed and when the application isn't running.

#3 2015-03-04 22:33

peterbonge

Ilja Herlein wrote:

"Portable" means usage on a USB flash device. In that case the license file is set up for that portable device instead of the local machine, so the license doesn't have to be activated on every system again.

Does this only work with flash drives which are shown as removable drives? I'm asking because my main flash drive is shown as a normal hard disk.

Actually I'd highly recommend against doing so, because if at some point you run the application on multiple devices at the same time and they all write to the same file (well not exactly the same file, but something near that, as it's constantly synced.) you'll end up with an inconsistent, probably broken settings file.

I'm the only person who uses these two computers and I never use both at the same time. I have all my portable apps in my Dropbox and all are working fine, even the other paid ones.

Can it cause any problems if I activate the app often? (I don't need the app every day)

Regards,
Peter Bonge

#4 2015-03-05 12:30

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

peterbonge wrote:

Does this only work with flash drives which are shown as removable drives? I'm asking because my main flash drive is shown as a normal hard disk.

Windows must report the drive to be removable. I'm not sure if this information is always the same that causes the drive to be shown as a normal or removable drive in the explorer. Best way is to try it out in your case.

peterbonge wrote:

Can it cause any problems if I activate the app often? (I don't need the app every day)

No, those are always the same systems being activated.

Maybe you could try to find a solution by preventing the license file from being synced. For example making it read-only. Or maybe your sync-application allows excluding certain files or file extensions.