xfinitywifi / General Questions / NetSetMan Support

NetSetMan Support

Search for already answered questions about NetSetMan (Pro) or ask new ones

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-12 05:58

pschnob

xfinitywifi

Hi,
There are 3 xfinitywifi hotspots in my area, 2 on ch6, 1 on ch11.  Using windows I am unable to select which xfinitywifi i want to connect to...some work and some don't!  I read online that this program would enable me to specify exactly which xfinitywifi hotspot i wanted to connect to by channel number but i don't see any such option (channel selection/filter) in the wifi setup menu? (and i couldn't successfully connect just trying them one at a time either..but i wasn't sure if my profile was automatically connecting to the 1st xfinity (or strongest) or was really connecting to the 2nd or 3rd ones when i clicked on them?)  Any suggestions/clarifications/instructions would be most welcome.  Thx!
p

#2 2016-01-12 13:24

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Re: xfinitywifi

Using the NSM WiFi Management you'll see all hotspots independently even if they share the same SSID. The tooltip for each wireless network provides additional information like the MAC address of that hotspot. You can then connect to a specific one by double-clicking it or selecting it and choosing "Connect".

wifi.png

#3 2016-01-13 01:51

pschnob

so then even though i'll have 3 profiles with the same name (since they are named after the ssid) as long as i select different actual wifi sources for each of the 3 different profiles they'll actually all be different right?

#4 2016-01-13 18:20

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

Windows does not allow to have multiple wifi profiles with the same name per wireless network adapter. So I'm afraid I don't quite understand your question.

I was under the impression that there are multiple access points for the same wireless network and you'd like to specifically select one of them to connect to. The NSM WiFi Management allows you to choose a specific access point to connect to.

#5 2016-01-14 02:34

pschnob

In my area there are 3 of the same ssids 'xfinitywifi'.  These are 'free' hotspots provided by the ISP comcast.  Each of these 3 ssids belong to different neighbors modems/accounts and for whatever reason some work for me and others don't.  as you know windows doesn't allow me to select 'which' xfinitywifi i can connect to so frequently i can't get online.

the question is how do i setup netsetman to enable me to easily switch between all 3 of these xfinitywifi hotspots?  If i understand you i'd setup set0, 1 & 2 as follows:

set0: profile xfinitywifi, selecting '1st' xfinitywifi connection (ch6)
set1: profile xfinitywifi, selecting '2nd' xfinitywifi connection (ch11)
set2: profile xfinitywifi, selecting '3rd' xfinitywifi connection (also ch11)

is this correct?  if not please clarify.  thank you!!

#6 2016-01-14 13:20

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

In your previous message you wrote "3 profiles with the same name" that's why I pointed out that Windows doesn't support multiple wireless profiles with the same name. As you now clarified there are 3 wireless networks (not profiles). So then please read my first reply. By using the built in NSM WiFi Management you can choose specifically one of them to connect to. Notice this works in the NSM WiFi Management only. In contrast, by using the NetSetMan profiles in the WiFi dropdown box you're selecting a stored WiFi profile to be used for the connection. Windows then automatically chooses a suitable WiFi network. So in your case you can only use the NSM WiFi Management but not the profile functionality.

However, we plan to integrate a new "Connect by MAC" feature that will allow you to manually specify a MAC address in the profile instead of a WiFi profile. This would then work like you've described in your last message.

#7 2018-03-21 03:46

iceburgh

In others words, the answer is no because NetSetMan doesnt detect the difference beween different access points with the same name. If you pick an access point on channel 153 and make a profile for it, if there are any other access points with the same name, but different channel, it randomly selects whatever. Maybe in the future, it will contain this much needed feature.

#8 2018-03-21 03:53

iceburgh

I don't think it has anything to do with what windows supports. If multiple access points appear in the list, then thats what is transmitting the signal. The different mac addresses is what dictates what the differences are including the different signal strengths, addresses, etc. To have full control over which one you can choose would be in the software to be able to select using mac addresses.

#9 2018-03-21 11:51

NetSetMan Support
Administrator

We're sorry, but your assumptions are incorrect. A WiFi profile is part of Windows and therefore is limited to the details Microsoft has designed for it. Windows WiFi profiles have no concept or knowledge of MAC addresses or channels. This has nothing to do with NetSetMan. If you're interested in the technical details, you can read more about Windows WiFi profiles here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar … p/ms706965

As you've created an additional thread for this topic, we've posted our full reply there. So please continue reading in your other topic.

#10 2019-07-22 10:54

Mastalock

with NetSetMan you just connect using MAC addresses. copy the MAC addreess of the signal you want. clic the Wifi check box, click the dropdown, connect using MAC.. paste

Im on xfinity wifi too and it began giving me trouble this week.. about to post a new related question